At 37 weeks we will visit you at your home to ensure that you are all set up for your birth. Conveniently, a Birth Kit has been put together for you to order here. Please order your birth kit by 34 weeks to make sure it has arrived in time for your home visit. Please note that there are options below the kit contents on the ordering page that you may consider adding to your kit. If you have a negative blood type you will need to order 2 Eldon cards along with your birth kit.
Included in the PrePackaged Birth Kit:
- 15-20 Large Chux – disposable underpads
- 1 – 3oz. bulb (ear) syringe
- 2 – Sanitary briefs
- 12 -Depends or Promise post partum pads (or combination)
- 1 – box 4×4 sterile gauze pads or topper sponges (min.20 pads)
- 12 – individually wrapped sterile gloves-LATEX and NITRILE (size medium)
- 2 – Flexible straws
- 2 – cord clamps
- 1 – tube or 6 packets STERILE lubricating jelly (HR, K-Y, etc.)
- 1- empty squirt bottle-for rinsing perineum after birth
Mothers who are Rh negative should order 2 Eldon cards for cord blood typing. These can be ordered with the birth kit under options. All prices on the birth kit page include shipping and handling.
In addition to your Birth Kit, please have these supplies set aside.
- Flashlight with fresh batteries
- Heating pad or hot water bottle
- Box of trash bags (at least one bag should be white) for laundry, trash, placenta, pillows, etc.)
- 2 large bowls – 1 for placenta, 1 to catch vomit
- Perineal ice pads or crushed ice in 3 or 4 sandwich bags for ice packs (for your bottom)
- Hydration during labor: Coconut water, Gatorade, Third Wind or Recharge, Pregnancy Tea, etc.
- Juice for after delivery (OJ, etc)
- Snacks (fruit, nuts, etc) – for mother, friends, midwives
- Coffee – especially for Kay and Missi
- Roll of paper towels (Viva is really soft and our preference but any will work)
- Box of maxi-size sanitary napkins (preferably not with plastic weave on the inside like Always)
- Nightgown for after the birth
- Diapers for baby
- 2 bottles hydrogen peroxide for laundry or cleaning up blood spots
- Extra people (support for children, gofer, etc.)
- Popsicles or frozen juice cubes
- Nursing bra & pads
- Warm socks
- 1-2 bottles Witch Hazel (refrigerate for use after the birth). Feels great on tears or hemorrhoids
If you are planning to labor or give birth in water you can find more information regarding additional supplies here.
When you think you are in labor, you will prepare your bed by putting the sheets you want for your postpartum on first. On top of this, place a fitted, waterproof mattress protector. On top of the mattress protector, place the sheets you don’t mind getting soiled by birth. Also bag up all of your pillows and place a pillowcase on top to protect them from blood or water. After your birth, we will strip the soiled sheets off your bed while you are in the shower and a clean bed will be ready for you and your baby to continue bonding in.
- 1 set of clean sheets for use after the birth
- Clean pillow cases for use after the birth
- 1 set of sheets/pillowcases for the birth (sanitizing instructions below)
- 1 fitted, waterproof mattress protector (no mattress bags, please)
- At least 4 full sized adult bath towels
- 3 additional towels if planning a water birth or laboring in water
- 4 adult washcloths
- 4 receiving blankets
These supplies should be washed and dried. Run these items through an extra dryer cycle and immediately place them in plastic bags. Label the bags. They will be opened as needed.
Or (if your dryer does not heat well)
Place them in separate (paper) grocery bags, sealed with tape or staples, labeled as to their contents and placed in the center of the oven (don’t let the bag touch the top or sides of the oven.) Place a pan of water in the bottom of the oven and bake for 2 hours at 200 – 250 degrees. Watch carefully to avoid scorching. Do not open the bags. They will be opened as needed.
The following items need to be gathered and placed in a labeled bag:
- Clothes for the baby (she will be comfortable in one clothing layer more than you)
- 2 receiving blankets